Healthy Blueberry Scones
Beautifully soft and with just the right amount of sweetness, these scones are so delicious, it will be so hard to stop at just one!
I’ve included a variation for gluten-free scones as well, you can make a simple switch to gluten-free flour and still enjoy these!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Dietary preferences: Gluten-free option, Vegetarian
- 300g wholemeal self-raising flour or gluten-free self-raising flour
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125ml reduced fat milk or dairy-free milk of choice, plus extra to glaze
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup (optional)
- 50g frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 180°C (356°F) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the flour and sea salt in a large bowl and stir until well combined.
- Add the vanilla extract, milk, olive oil, lemon zest and maple syrup, if using, and mix for 1-2 minutes or until a soft dough forms. Gently fold in the blueberries. Use your hands to press the dough into a ball.
- Place the dough on a floured flat surface and roll out evenly with a rolling pin. The dough should be about 3 - 4 cm (1.5 - 2 inches) thick.
- Use a round cookie or scone cutter to make scone shapes out of the dough and place them on the baking tray, leaving a little space in between to allow the scones to expand. Brush each scone with extra milk to glaze.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Suggested topping: Blueberry Compote
- 90g fresh blueberries
- ½ tbsp honey
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
1. To make the compote, heat a small saucepan over low heat. Add the blueberries, honey, vanilla and one tablespoon of water and cook for 10-15 minutes until the blueberries are soft and syrupy, stirring occasionally.