Choosing healthy snacks is an important part of maintaining a balanced and nutritious diet. Here are some healthy snack options:
- Fresh fruit: Fruit is a great snack option that provides natural sweetness and fibre. Try apples, bananas, oranges, or berries for a quick and easy snack.
- Nuts and seeds: Nuts and seeds are a good source of healthy fats, protein, and fiber. Choose almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds for a satisfying snack.
- Hummus and vegetables: Dip sliced carrots, celery, cucumbers, or bell peppers into hummus for a healthy and filling snack.
- Greek yogurt: Greek yogurt is high in protein and can be paired with fresh fruit or nuts for a healthy and satisfying snack.
- Rice cakes with nut butter: Rice cakes are a low-calorie and low-fat snack option. Top them with almond butter or peanut butter for some extra protein and flavor.
- Roasted chickpeas: Roast chickpeas in the oven with some spices for a crunchy and high-fiber snack option.
Remember to also watch your portion sizes when snacking, and choose snacks that are nutrient-dense rather than high in calories and added sugars. Eating healthy snacks throughout the day can help keep you satisfied and prevent overeating at meals.
Snacks can be hard to get on top of when trying to maintain a calorie deficit diet - but it is so much easier if you are organised - snack bags, ready chopped up crudites, pre bought snacks which you can pop in your bag - it sounds easy but it is so important to be on top of this and be organised...
When choosing your snacks, go for the nutrient dense foods and try to stay away from those snacks which are high in sugars and fats (these may feel good at the time but they are high in calories with very little nutrients in them and you will be hungry and craving more!).
Here are some snack ideas which might help or give you some ideas to create your own:
Wholegrain crackers or oatcakes, corn cakes, rice cakes:
- Nut butter – almond, hazelnut or mixed nut butter (from good health food shops)
- Guacamole - easy to make yourself
- Mashed egg
- Mackerel, salmon or trout paté
- Slices of chicken or turkey slices
Raw vegetables (e.g. cherry tomatoes, red pepper, carrot sticks – many supermarkets sell ready cut carrot sticks) with hummus, cottage cheese or mashed avocado/guacamole or taramasalata
- Fruit – berries if they are available
Boiled egg with some raw vegetables
Piece of fruit (eg apple, pear, plum, satsuma, or berries) with 5-6 nuts or small handful of seeds
High protein snack bar such as Naked, Trek, Bounce Balls, Lara Bars - an occasional treat though!
Celery sticks stuffed with nut butter or cream cheese
Homemade popcorn with a little sea salt